Development for feature films
Feature films with a minimum running time of 70΄ and aimed in principle at theatrical release are accepted for examination. These projects must have assumed the form of co-productions between at least two producers from two SEE CINEMA NETWORK memberstates. The participation of third co-producers from other countries is not excluded. Proof of the participation of co-producers should be in the form of agreements or at least memorandums between the parties involved in the project. The files submitted must have secured the services of a delegate producer, director and scriptwriter, all three from the Network’s member-states.
As they progress, the development projects submitted should also assume the final form of a co-production, respecting the general conditions and terms stipulated by the European Convention on Coproductions.
It is necessary for applicants to make it clear that should their project become a feature film, artistic and technical contributors will come in principle from the Network member-states.
The evaluation of the development projects and the selection of those to be funded will be carried out by the General Meeting of SEE CINEMA NETWORK representatives.
The members of the General Meeting’s priorities are as follows:
- The dynamic presented by the basic dramaturgical idea
- The dramaturgical integrity demonstrated by the script
- The project’s artistic potential
- The project’s commercial potential
- The recognition that the previous works of the creative team (scriptwriter and director) received by critics, the public and festivals
- Proof of financing that the production may have secured
- The thoroughness of the strategic plan mapped out by the executive producer regarding the management and promotion of the project.
Procedure for submission and evaluation of the projects
The development projects will be submitted and evaluated as follows:
- The contents of the project should be submitted via email to the representative of the SEE CINEMA NETWORK country of the applicant.
- The representative of each country collects the candidate projects submitted by his country’s film professionals and proceeds with preselection implementing the criteria of the present rules and regulations. The representative may pre-select up to two projects per submission period and may request assistance in the preselection process from those representatives of the SEE CINEMA NETWORK countries involved in the project as co-producers.
- Each national representative then sends via email the pre-selected projects to the rest of the representatives. The pre-selected projects must be send to the rest of the representatives at the definite date that will be announced by the Secretariat.
The selection of the projects to be funded takes place on the day of the meeting of the General Assembly, by secret ballot and in the following manner:
- Each representative expresses himself/herself only with a positive vote, voting for the projects that are the frontrunners in his/her opinion.
- Based on the results of the voting, a catalog is drawn up listing the frontrunners in order of number of votes received by each project.
Content of the candidates’ files
The candidates’ files should contain the following documentation:
- Duly filled-in application form — Download the application form
- Biographical note of the scriptwriter, the director, the producer and the production company
- Synopsis (1 page)
- Treatment (approximately 10-15 pages)
- The complete script (στα αγγλικά και υποχρεωτικά και στα ελληνικά)
- Statement of intent regarding the artistic and commercial dynamic of the project written jointly by the director and the producer
- Strategy for managing and marketing the project by the producer (up to 3 pages)
- Analytical budget of the development project, which will include expenses directly and specifically linked to the project
- Summary of the production budget. Breakdown for the coproducers.
- Any other documentation that may be useful in evaluating the project.
All the documentation about the project must be submitted in the English language. The complete script must be submitted in the Greek language as well.
Type of funding
The funding will have the form of a non-repayable loan, the only obligation being that the name of the Network should appear in the film’s titles and all the printed material, radio and television or other media and all the material accompanying the project or the future work.
Agreement covering funding payments
- The SEE CINEMA NETWORK will draw up an agreement, which will be co-signed by the Network and the beneficiaries delegate producer of the project. For each project funded, the scriptwriter, the director and the producer are considered jointly responsible, jointly answerable and consequently obligated to work together for the success of the project. It is preferred that these three capacities belong to three different persons. An exception is made in the case of scriptwriter and director who can be the same person.
- The delegate producer of the project is responsible and answerable to the SEE CINEMA NETWORK for the adherence to the terms and conditions of the agreement.
Payment will be made in three installments, as follows:
20 days after signature of the agreement (30%)
After submission by the producer of a report in manner the project will be administer accompanied by documents months a which he/she describes the ed and marketed and which will be proving the results obtained during the first 4 months after approval of the funding (30 %).
An amount of 40% will be paid upon the submission to the Network Secretariat of a definite contract for international coproduction, involving at least two producers coming from two different member Network, and after the completion of the first week of states of the shooting .